In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- They are everything from Koreans to Russians, and from Croats to Bosnians.
- Their descendants account for about a third of the present population, the remainder being mainly Serbs and Croats.
- This then joined the Kingdom of the Serbs, Croats, and Slovenes, later renamed Yugoslavia.
- The Croats speak Croatian, a South Slavic language of the Indo-European family.
- By half way the Croats had eaten at the two second Egyptian lead and continued to surge.
- Under the Hapsburgs, urban Croats spoke German, and Latin was the official language of government.
- In terms of England's qualification, if they draw, a victory by France over Switzerland, or a draw in that game, would see them finish above the Croats and the Swiss.
- Such was not the case in the brutal conflict between the Serbs and Croats.
- ‘We mustn't make the mistake of under-estimating the Croats as we did the Czechs,’ he said.
- Unlike Serbs, Croats, Slovaks, Czechs, French, Norwegians and so on, Poles were not permitted a collaborator government.
- The Magyars were more anxious than ever to suppress the national movements of Romanians, Slovaks, Croats, and Serbs.
- It did not survive the battles between Serbs and Croats.
- As a Serb living among Croats and Bosnians he was, more than most, forced to confront his identity and loyalties.
- The Bulgars and Croats are most into roleplay and dressing up.
- For a start, many Croats object to it being restored at all.
- Hailing from the Balkans, the so-called powder keg of Europe, Croats are a tall and somewhat western looking people.
- His passing will be mourned by the Greeks, Croats, Hungarians, Italians and any other ethnic group you can name.
- The Croats and the Russians didn't sign up in advance for aerotowing, so they will be lucky to be placed at the back of the queue on the first day.
- Dalmatian Croats are fairly dark - skinned but their inland brethren are quite fair.
- There was a small Bosnian village where Croats and Serbs fought a war against each other.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.