In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1vieja bruja femenino
- Withered crones filled every seat, wrapped in thick black woolen coats, huddled forwards like emperor penguins defending their young.
- While the majority jostle for a bit more elbow room under their comfy security blanket of togetherness, I find myself left out in the cold with all the other disagreeable old crones.
- I tried to sign to the cackling crone that someone was already sitting in the seat she had chosen, but she just kept looking at me and laughing.
- For Riley, Three Tall Women lends itself to the archetypes of the maiden, the mother and the crone, what she refers to as the tri-goddess.
- It is inhabited almost exclusively by a group of old crones.
- He is not the ideal spokesman to challenge a double standard that celebrates older fathers as randy old goats, but shudders at older mothers as unnatural crones.
- What's the difference between a crone, witch and hag again?
- First, in her challenging study The Boy, our chief feminist guru Germaine Greer pronounces that it's all right for us crones to drool over the beauty of young men.
- Actress Patricia Doyle, the narrator, plays her as an embittered crone looking back on her wicked life.
- Do not pass Go or collect 100 francs, go directly to the Bastille, where you will be decapitated by an angry mob of toothless old crones.
- Originally, witches were nasty old crones who made evil potions.
- Sophie is transformed into an old woman by the spell of a crone called The Witch of the Waste.
- She crawled outside to spot a lone figure speeding away - something bent like an aged crone, smoky hair streaming out behind it as it loped with unnatural speed.
- If we made a habit of yielding to prejudice we would restore capital punishment, stone people to death and drown old crones in pointed hats.
- The cackling crones will be unleashed when scenes from Roald Dahl's children's classic The Witches are staged at a theatrical show.
- Witches were no longer young and seductive, but old crones, who symbolised the bad mothers of nightmare.
- He was in the presence of the Great Lady who was at once, an unblemished virgin, a pregnant mother and a wizened crone.
- The crowd whooped again, and I looked around expecting to see old crones knitting happily as the blood flowed.
- Wiltshire sits in her dining room by a painting of a crone in Welsh costume with black stovepipe hat.
- Candle clutching crones, eyes and teeth flashing, pray to the locked white-washed church, to ask Bon Dieu Bon (God oversees all the voodoo spirits as he does the Catholic saints) to bless their services.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.