In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Anchors are installed on both sides of the roadway to maintain its position in cross-currents and tide changes.
- The pictures showed that when the water reached a certain speed, it began to break into eddies, waves and cross-currents.
- Obviously you get caught in cross-currents both ways.
- The water level continued to rise, and swift cross-currents developed.
- In any case two days campaigning for the second round does seem to be a very short time, with large numbers of MP's switching their support like strong cross-currents in an ocean.
- The trick once down was to keep an eye on bubbles and fish behaviour for telltale signs of cross-currents and whirlpools.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.