In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- In music, atonality or the abandonment of rules of tonality, was the counterpart of cubism and surrealism in art and the functionalism of Bauhaus.
- Abbreviated from a 1925 Paris exhibition, art deco was a mix of cubism, art nouveau and Russian ballet, with a fondness for strident colours and geometric lines.
- Elements of surrealism and cubism, influences of the European avant-garde art movements of high modernism are all in evidence in this striking poem.
- Analytical cubism is generally considered the early phase of cubism.
- For several years to come they were to explore together the possibilities of cubism.
- Pre-Columbian art's contribution to modernism fails to fit into the teleologically reconstructed development from post-impressionism, fauvism, and cubism to abstract expressionism.
- From this painting stemmed what we now know as analytical cubism, cubism's first phase.
- In cubism, geometrical forms and fragmentations are favored.
- The early analytic cubism of Pablo Picasso and Georges Braque sought to capture the essence of subjects in ‘simultaneous vision’ by eliminating point of view, distance and lighting.
- Apparent in her paintings are the influence of cubism, which employs geometric structure, and surrealism, and which uses fictional, sometimes abstract, subjects.
- It is quite different from the shattered fragments found in the analytic cubism of his contemporaries Georges Braque and Pablo Picasso.
- Consider the distinctive compositions of pop artist Romero Britto, whose brilliant colors and whimsical themes flirt with cubism but remain true to the artist's personal style.
- Later, the Jamaican artists began to incorporate artist movements like abstraction, impressionism and cubism into their works.
- It's not pointillist, it's not cubism - it's just in-your-face, comic art.
- By ‘Egyptian style’ Rousseau meant the elements of African tribal art that Picasso and other artists had assimilated when they developed the art movement known as cubism.
- A distinctive style of cubism combined with surrealism are what makes his paintings stand out from the crowd.
- The influence of the French avant-garde movements - surrealism, cubism, and so forth - is quite marked.
- Though the modern art movements of impressionism, cubism, expressionism and abstract art have influenced urban art, what we see is not a made-in-India version of Western art.
- Avoiding the influence of Picasso's cubism in any form, O'Keeffe epitomized the independence of the American avant-garde.
- Picasso discovered cubism after seeing African masks, so the two artists share the same source of inspiration.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.