In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The azure sky above was only slightly clouded by the thick cumulus clouds that strayed away from each other, to occasionally cover up the sun's streams of rays.
- When the air condenses into small, lumpy, low pockets of cloud, this is cumulus.
- The first normally is associated with vertical clouds such as cumulus.
- The basic cloud forms are cumulus, which are heaped clouds; stratus, which are layer clouds; and cirrus, which are wispy.
- These types of funnel clouds form out of large cumulus clouds or very weak thunderstorms and normally do not have the energy to reach the ground.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.