In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- And unlike Herbert his ministry was a long one: curacies in Chirk and Hanmer.
- That of 7 June 1789 may be the first Malthus delivered as ordained deacon licensed to the curacy of Okewood Chapel; the second was read shortly thereafter.
- Jane's mother was disowned because she married beneath her class, and after a year of marriage both parents caught the typhus fever in the curacy where Jane's father worked.
- She will return to complete her three year curacy (assistant to a training vicar), before having to look for a parish of her own to lead.
- He did however spend two years in study at Oxford in Magdalen College and had the prospect of a curacy in Buckinghamshire.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.