In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The thin-framed, moveable glass walls were engineered to be resistant to tropical storms and cyclones.
- Due to the intensive rainfall and high temperatures, disastrous weather such as thunder storms and cyclones are likely to occur.
- Extreme weather events like floods, storms, and cyclones were predicted to rise as global warming disrupted weather patterns.
- As well as facing a severe economic crisis, over the past two years the island has been hit by serious flooding due to tropical storms and cyclones that have devastated agricultural production.
- Climate extremes like flood, fire, cyclones and drought cause major impacts that can be minimised more effectively with climate forecasting.
- Already we are witnessing numerous irregularities and disturbances in the climatic system - heat waves, floods, squalls, storms, cyclones and thunderstorms.
- Heatwaves, cyclones, and floods, will become more frequent and intense.
- Hurricanes and other cyclones that form in the tropics during summer and fall are very different from the extratropical storms that often form during winter even though both can produce very strong winds and flooding rain.
- Dunes are a first line of defence for the canopy forest, not only against the ravages of storms or cyclones, but against the harmful salt spray under normal conditions.
- We are all used to cyclones and storms lashing Florida and the surroundings.
- The meteorological satellite launched last year seeks to aid the forecast of severe weather events such as cyclones and storms.
2(low-pressure area)zona de bajas presiones femenino
- The year 1918 was noteworthy in northern Queensland for two of the worst cyclones in the country's history.
- The coastal areas of Asia face future challenges: cyclones and their attendant surges will take an increasing toll as global warming disturbs weather systems.
- Japhet hit northern Mozambique last week and is the second cyclone to devastate the southern African country this year.
- A cyclone tore into India's southeastern coast yesterday, killing 11 people, officials said.
- Trends in tropical cyclone activity in the Australian region show that the total number of cyclones has decreased in recent decades.
- Hundreds fled to storm shelters in the remote northern Cook Islands yesterday as the fourth cyclone in a month lashed the South Pacific nation.
- The country has a warm climate and often experiences devastating cyclones and hurricanes.
- Visitors were told how weather data which flow in continuously from around 500 weather stations all over the country are analysed, plotted on maps and then low pressure zones determined to forecast depressions and cyclones.
- During one trip to Mauritius I endured both a cyclone and a tropical storm in the space of a week, and saw enough rain to last me a lifetime.
- As cyclones move inland, they form rain depressions and are an important source of rain.
- Heavy rain and high winds, sometimes of destructive strength, can be experienced along the coast within several hundred kilometres of the centre of a cyclone.
- At the time of writing there is no report of damage from Orissa, another coastal state very susceptible to hurricanes and cyclones.
- Madagascar's vanilla production has been adversely affected in recent years by a series of devastating cyclones.
- The immediate cause of the famine is the drought in the southern part of the island and the cyclone that hit the east this year.
- The cyclones and monsoons that already bring such damage to the area could become even more frequent and intense.
- A cyclone in Bangladesh during 1991 caused 150,000 deaths.
- Orissa was recently devastated by the deadliest cyclone of the century causing death and destruction on an unheard of scale.
- An official from the meteorological office said forecasts indicated the cyclone could fizzle out before reaching Mozambique.
- Each year, the tropics are battered by up to 40 hurricanes, typhoons, and cyclones, while floods and landslides occur everywhere in numbers too great to keep track of.
- He believes climate change is also increasing the severity of cyclones and hurricanes, which are now appearing in areas never seen before, and outside their normal weather pattern.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.