In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1pollo de cisne masculino
- They saw an injured female swan and wondered why the male was not protecting its cygnets.
- The swans had three healthy cygnets that will leave the lake next year.
- The added danger from predators in the river has led to the cygnets being killed by foxes each year.
- On Friday the fully recovered male swan was reunited with his brood of five cygnets on the River Kennet.
- A crack appeared, growing slowly until a pink beak and then a wet, silvery-grey head emerged - a trumpeter swan cygnet.
- Goslings graze with their parents out of the water whereas swans teach cygnets in the water to be aquatic feeders.
- The two swans and their four cygnets became covered in oil after the dredgers dug the substance up from the canal bed.
- The beautiful pair were placed together at a wildlife site at Cheadle Royal Business Park in the hope they would mate and produce cygnets.
- I was annoyed to see whilst riding along the towpath on the way back into town that the swans have lost one of the cygnets in the past couple of days.
- The mother had lived on the river for eight years and had hatched three cygnets this spring.
- Father, mother and two cygnets were released back on to the lower lake at The Lawns in December.
- Six mute swans and cygnets and three foxes were found dead close to one another in Kilcoole some days ago.
- Congratulations and well done to the two English anglers who were fishing on Gills Pond recently and rescued a young cygnet that was in trouble.
- The two swans and their family of three cygnets on Lough Talt this summer proved a big attraction with tourists pulling up along the shore to admire these graceful birds.
- After hatching, parents led the cygnets to feeding grounds on lawns surrounding the lake or shallow water close to the shore.
- The two swans have brought seven cygnets into the world.
- The three cygnets are now well developed and in the fall when their feathers grow, they will rise in flight from the lake waters.
- We have a breeding pair of swans on North Bradley lake and for the last two years all of their cygnets have been taken by foxes.
- When the eggs hatched, the mother swan paraded with her six grey cygnets in the bay in front of our house.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.