In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The bolts are torqued in a special sequence to draw the intake manifold and its molded rubber gasket on to the cylinder head.
- The next thing we did was remove the cylinder head, which revealed a piston nicely seized in the barrel.
- The crankcase jacket, bedplate and cylinder head cover are all made from magnesium, which weighs 30 percent less than aluminium.
- Advanced technology is such that it allows engines to share the same basic components while the fine tuning and other components, the cylinder head for example, are specifically dedicated to the personalisation of the different brands.
- If the gasket breaks down, small holes develop between the cylinder and the cylinder head, and these holes cause leaks.
- It is equally important for the engine parts to be functioning in excellent condition - from the cylinder head to the crankshaft, the valvetrain, the pistons and the piston rings.
- The smoke is almost certainly a result of seals around the valves in the cylinder head starting to fail.
- The cylinder head is aluminum, with the vertically-mounted valves actuated by roller rockers.
- Modern engines have a more compact hemispherical combustion chamber to give greater efficiency and reduced emissions, with the valves mounted on the top of the cylinder head and opening in a downwards direction.
- There's a roll bar to offer some protection to the top of the cylinder head and a hefty foam bumper at the front of the car.
- Although the cylinder head is aluminium, the block itself remains a traditional cast iron unit.
- The cylinder head has a thin-wall combustion chamber design, and the water jacket has been expanded to reduce knock by specifying M12 long-reach spark plugs.
- A compressor for an automotive air conditioning system includes a cylinder head that comprises a mixing chamber, suction chamber and discharge chamber.
- The droplets wet the vertical exhaust passage, and when the engine is shut off, the droplets fall and collect in the exhaust manifold runners that go to the cylinder head.
- Very small roller cam followers are installed in the cylinder head to operate the valves instead of the conventional bucket-type tappets.
- The entire system is pre-assembled and dropped as a module into position in the cylinder head.
- The welding of the two hot pieces of metal causes the removal of the softer seat metal and subsequent recession of the valve into the cylinder head.
- Designing the valvetrain, Walker contends, was much easier than creating the high-compression cylinder head.
- With the camshaft below the cylinder head and a semi-dry-sump lubrication system, the engine weight is carried down low in the frame and the block size is compact.
- The cylinder head is a single overhead camshaft, two valve type.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.