In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(in World War II)(día del desembarco aliado en Normandía) día D masculino
- After D-Day, Marshal Pétain reminded the French of their neutrality and Frenchmen did not fight against the Allies.
- His ship supported the American landings on Omaha Beach on D-Day, picking up survivors.
- Gen. George C. Marshall began planning the postwar occupation of Germany two years before D-Day.
- In the days following the D-Day landings, Allied troops carved a tenuous foothold on the coast of Normandy.
- Just about one year later, the start of the liberation of France took place with D-Day on June 6th.
- The raid also had a major influence on the success of the Allied troop landings on the Normandy beaches on D-Day a year later.
- A Second World War soldier who parachuted into Normandy on D-Day has died, aged 82.
- This weekend, the world will remember the courage and sacrifice of the Allied troops at the D-Day landings in France.
- Mr Smart landed on Sword Beach in Ouistreham, Normandy at noon on D-Day in a Sherman Firefly tank.
- A soldier who was among first allied servicemen to land on the beaches of Normandy on D-Day is preparing to return to the scenes.
- One RAAF pilot flew two sorties on D-Day alongside his Allied counterparts.
- Crews stationed there flew into action on D-Day as well as during the Arnhem and Rhine crossing operations.
- Sixty years ago this weekend thousands of young men from this area braced themselves to storm the beaches at Normandy on D-Day.
- Rode back early this morning, and my helmet now looks like an insect version of the Normandy beaches after D-Day.
- The D-Day commemorations in Normandy this weekend will be a reminder of our shared history.
- He went on to command the US land forces at D-Day and the subsequent US advance through France.
- The school recently visited the Normandy beaches to learn about D-Day.
- He was among the Canadian forces that landed on Juno Beach on D-Day.
- A special exhibition has been mounted to mark the 60th anniversary of the D-Day landings.
- Allied casualties on D-Day are estimated at 10,000, of whom 2,500 were killed.
2(important day)el día señalado
- It was my D-Day and I wanted to look perfect.
- Inside Out follows residents on their fight with officialdom as the final countdown to D-Day begins.
- Rehearsals began in October gathering in frequency and intensity as D-Day approaches.
- Start by having your own D-Day or personal baptism.
- Once we got everything we picked a day and that day will go into the history books as our personal D-Day: 29th of June 2003.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.