In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
inglés de Nueva Zelanda, inglés de Australia
1pantalón masculinopantalones masculino
- An old grey-haired but balding man approaches, wearing trackie daks.
- So I ended up looking all professional when I could have been wearing tracky daks and a scungy t-shirt.
- A bronzed lifesaver in bright red pool daks and a goofy cap is an Australian icon, although they're starting to wear shorts a la Baywatch or bikepants lately.
- ‘If we're expelled, I'll drop my daks in Red Square,’ he said.
- A third guy wandered in wearing an old pair of trackie daks (with a hole in one knee) and a tatty old jumper.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.