In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He always travelled with his dog, Jack, she said, a male Dalmatian who usually sat in the passenger seat of his four wheel drive Toyota land cruiser.
- Large, powerful dogs are frequently targeted, including Akitas, chow chows, Dalmatians, Dobermans, German Shepherds, Great Danes, pit bulls, Rottweilers as well as mixes of these breeds.
- One must remember that the Dalmatian was bred to run with horse and carriage.
- Unlike the symmetrical spots of the Dalmatian, the patches are jagged and irregular.
- And long romps with Pongo, the resident Dalmatian turn the haven into a dog lover's paradise.
- The day belonged to massive Mastiffs, Great Danes, hairy Pomeranians, Rottweilers, German Shepherds, Dobermans, Dalmatians and Miniature Pinschers.
- The family dog Jasper, a brown spotted Dalmatian, strained at his lead as master and family passed by.
- Mani took some time to complete the formalities for he has two more dogs in tow - a six year old Pom and its larger companion, a one-year-old Dalmatian.
- It was fashionable to keep a famous breed like a Dalmatian, but owners abandoned them once they realized they might not make good pets because they need lots of attention and are frisky, he said.
- Thomas's mother Vicky Brennan, who will be at Crufts showing her bitch Dalmatian, said: ‘Thomas works extremely hard.’
- Seven Labrador Retrievers, two Dalmatians, a boxer and a mongrel owned by Chinni Krishna are ‘Doctor Dogs’.
- She has brown eyes and loves dog such as Dalmatians and her lovely beagle, Bugsy.
- I was breeding Dalmatians at the time and I sold a puppy to a hippie couple and they painted all the back spots purple, and came into town and everyone was like, oh yeah, purple spots.
- He's everywhere and nowhere, more spotted than a Dalmatian.
- Congenital deafness seems to be linked to the gene that produces the white color in both English setters and Dalmatians.
- This inspired Jack and Harry Bagust, brothers from the Sydney area, to breed one of these hybrids to a Dalmatian imported from Great Britain.
- A local veterinarian confirmed that Dalmatians often have a litter average of 12.
- Daisy the Dalmatian has given birth to 14 puppies.
- One guy decided that the world should know the number of spots his Dalmatian had so he gave his dog a web page and started the concept of personal home pages.
- This simply illustrates the phenotypic composition of the reported Dalmatians in terms of spot color, which has never been shown to correlate with deafness.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.