In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1damage control exercise — (in public relations) operación de lavado de imagen femenino
- I wonder if they will stand firm or whether they will attempt some damage limitation?
- These are electorally damaging claims and are potentially harmful to responsible and democratic government: clearly, damage limitation was indicated.
- When quizzed by his colleagues about this uncharacteristic outburst, Mike embarked on damage limitation.
- Although Scotland have had their moments, next Saturday's test will again surely be an exercise in damage limitation.
- Still, day three was always going to be an exercise in damage limitation.
- Stopping scandals before they happen is more effective than damage limitation after the event.
- It was a big day out for them, but that was all it ever promised to be when it rapidly become apparent that the plan was designed for damage limitation.
- Heroic defence is all about damage limitation.
- In a day of damage limitation, central banks around the world moved to calm markets by pumping an additional $80 bn into markets to ease a possible cash shortage.
- Many a side would now have concentrated on damage limitation, but Steve Paterson has a more adventurous philosophy than that and his men continued to press forward.
- This isn't about right or wrong, it's about damage limitation.
- In previous years I haven't managed to catch them early, and control has been impossible, with damage limitation the only hope.
- As a fuller story unfolds, his attempts at damage limitation sometimes seem like semantics.
- But it wasn't quite right and it was all Ross could do to attempt some damage limitation and just get around safely and pick up a few points.
- They made the usual noises about ‘having nothing to lose’, but arrived thinking in terms of damage limitation.
- Most electional charts are an exercise in damage limitation.
- Behind every food scare, there is a barrage of claims and counter-claims, hyperbole and damage limitation.
- So I would expect that she advised him that this damage limitation was the best course of action.
- Despite the talent within their ranks, they had obviously come for a draw - an exercise in damage limitation.
- Kilkenny were now at sixes and sevens and working towards damage limitation.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.