In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1proteger contra la humedad
- The 100 ft monument, which was raised in 1851 using a public subscription of £1, 250, needs its outer skin patched-up and damp-proofed with a special paint approved by English Heritage.
- Recently replastered, rewired and damp-proofed by its architect owners, the house consists of a living room, two bedrooms, kitchen and shower room.
- The one-acre garden belongs to property maintenance boss Michael Egan, who met Alf four years ago while damp-proofing his sheltered flat.
- The parlours, scullery and servant's quarters all needed to be dug up and damp-proofed and there are still whole areas of the house we haven't finished.
- This floor has been re-wired, damp-proofed and re-plastered by the present owners, who have also installed central heating.
- It needs to be rebuilt using materials in keeping with the original stone and slate building, and the 4, 000sq ft home must then be damp-proofed, wired, plumbed and decorated.
- Although renovation is required in many areas, the 297 square metre property has a number of period features and has recently been damp-proofed, reroofed and fitted with new windows.
- Given that most properties will need new plumbing, wiring, flooring, damp-proofing, plastering and painting, not to mention new kitchens and bathrooms, figure on a budget of more than €50,000.
- We are insulating and damp-proofing some houses, but at the pace we are going it will take around 50 years to retrofit the 300,000 homes that have inadequate ceiling insulation alone.
- If the fungus is actually growing as a result of an underlying damp problem, you will need to look at getting a professional company into your home to examine the problem and to damp-proof the walls and floors of the whole basement.
- Sherry FitzGerald is seeking €485,000 for this 116 square metre property, which dates from the 1920s and has recently been replumbed, rewired and damp-proofed.
- It has been damp-proofed and fitted with a new roof.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.