In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Equitación(horse/coat) rodado(horse/coat) pinto
- Everywhere the wide-spreading branches of giant ancient trees create havens of dappled light.
- The mural's figures, which appear in silhouette under rays of dappled sunlight, have faded badly.
- Nam's yard sat soft-lit under a few swinging lanterns amid dappled shade from the trees.
- In their native habitat they grow in dappled light.
- They like heavy, neutral to alkaline soil in dappled shade sheltered from cold winds.
- She looked at the gently flowing stream at her feet, watching the dappled sunlight wink upon the water.
- In my mind's eye, I amble gently through a dappled forest.
- Shafts of sunlight filter through the trees to throw dappled reflections on the mossy boulders.
- The round tables are covered with white tablecloths under dappled sunlight.
- The number of black bulls was one-quarter plus one-fifth the dappled bulls plus the brown bulls.
- Swinging gently in my hammock, gazing out through the dappled veil of my mosquito net, I watch a magical scene.
- In an open gallery, massive tribal deities loom under the shafts of dappled evening light.
- We spot my grandmother's purple dress, outlined in pale, dappled moonlight, moving about.
- In a few moments both were sleeping in the dappled shade.
- Deer, now busy with their young, didn't mind the quiet rest in dappled shadow.
- Multiple strips of horizontal glazing give fascinating dappled light within.
- The number of black cows was one-quarter plus one-fifth the total of the dappled.
- Emily sits in a stream, covered by a half-submerged parachute, illuminated by dappled light coming through a tree.
- Keep plants in a fairly shaded place (full shade for half the day or dappled shade all day).
- Use shade-tolerant varieties in areas with dappled shade or part sun.
2(mottled)(appearance/color) moteado(light/pattern) veteado
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.