In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1the dawn chorus — el trino de los pájaros al amanecer
- Early risers were treated to a glorious sunrise at the traditional dawn chorus.
- Early morning may be the key time to play vocalizations to attract new settlers as recent research suggests that settling males assess sites at dawn, during the dawn chorus.
- It was barely light yet and not even the dawn chorus interrupted the mournful silence she had ordered upon the palace.
- In the dawn chorus, however, singing activity showed a similar seasonal pattern in mated and unmated males and was high until late stages of the breeding cycle.
- During their egg-laying period, females remain in their nest cavities while males perform their dawn chorus.
- We studied female and male behavior during the dawn chorus in two different nest box populations around Antwerp, Belgium.
- The morning burst of birdsong is called the dawn chorus.
- As the angled rays creep up the last few hundred yards below my deck, illuminating individual blades of grass and blood-red flowers, the dawn chorus of birdsong begins to fade.
- Morning came early, as it tended to in the early days of spring, causing Armande to wake with the dawn chorus of birds.
- This morning, I spent about an hour listening to the beautiful dawn chorus, as the birds awoke and greeted another sunrise with their mellifluous songs.
- Such findings support the idea that singing during the dawn chorus is important to defend the territory against rival males or to adjust social relationships among territorial neighbors.
- A poet who didn't wake for a dawn chorus like the ones you get here would be a sad fellow indeed.
- The dawn chorus roused me very early again today, dragging me from snug warm covers to the desk after a slight detour to get coffee.
- Soon enough the sky began to lighten, the dawn chorus started up, and a heavy dew began to form.
- We camped overnight but with the dawn chorus and the sheep bleating, it was hard to sleep!
- The dawn chorus starts at about half four and I've barely slept and now I have hundreds of birds singing loudly.
- Observations commenced at nautical twilight (sun 12° below horizon) and ceased at the end of the dawn chorus (last bird heard singing).
- During the dawn chorus, male Great Tits produce several different song types and few to many different calls.
- I used to hate the dawn chorus waking me up (I am a light sleeper), but now I love it, especially during the spring/summer months.
- This morning, waking early, as the sun was coming up and the dawn chorus was starting, I forced my aching and bruised body from my bed and made tea.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.