In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The two-and-half hour delay to the opening of the second runway, along with problems de-icing aircraft prior to take-off, caused delays to almost all services.
- Due to these weather conditions, the crew de-iced the aircraft prior to takeoff.
- Flights have been delayed, then cancelled, and those who do board are sitting on the runway for up to two hours, waiting in line for the plane to be de-iced.
- Allow a minimum of five minutes to de-ice your car, so try to work this extra time into your morning routine.
- He was de-icing his car at about 7.30 am when he noticed four men in a red Rover 214 acting suspiciously.
- Before you set off on your journey, don't just de-ice your front windscreen.
- They're hoping the sweet smell of success will fill the air come December, thanks to a new sugar-coated grit for de-icing the city's roads.
- Afterwards, we de-ice ourselves in the welcome, healing heat of the water.
- Some arriving planes waited two hours to get to a gate while departing aircraft queued up to be de-iced.
- This will also save you having to de-ice windows on winter mornings.
- The handling fee covers all standard services, with the exception of items such as de-icing and aircraft cleaning, which are billed separately.
- One of the initiative's messages to motorists is not to leave your car unattended while it is de-icing in the morning.
- One man was hard at work with a giant ice pick, attempting to de-ice the fountains.
- I hate having to wake up 10 minutes earlier to de-ice my car before I leave for work.
- This is a small fraction of salt compared to the total amount of road salts, especially sodium chloride, used for de-icing the nation's roads.
- If you have used salt throughout the winter to de-ice sidewalks, take this corrective step to protect landscape plants.
- A private jet which crashed last month had not been de-iced before take-off despite below-freezing temperatures the night before, air accident investigators said yesterday.
- The handy four-wheelers have a spraying mechanism at the back which covers the pavement with liquid brine, de-icing the pavements better than salt.
- We spent nearly three hours on the plane while they tried to de-ice it, in which time the cabin crew were very rude.
- In other words, de-icing in winter would be replaced by inerting in the summer.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.