In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Strong organizations for priests, deacons, pastoral ministers, and other groups, including lay groups, are indispensable.
- In our diocese most of the prison ministry is done by the deacons, with two priests who offer Mass on a regular basis, and two more my wife and I recruited as occasional fill-ins.
- The spokesman said the Archbishop wanted a solution to the issues before almost 30 priests and deacons are ordained at the Minster later this month.
- My denomination also speaks of four ‘orders’: bishops, priests, deacons and laypeople.
- Ensuring that Father's Day wasn't purely a male celebration, three women were also ordained deacons by the Church of Ireland.
- The Eastern Orthodox churches have always allowed their priests and deacons to marry before ordination, though not after, and their bishops must be celibate.
- In certain respects, lay ministers and ordained deacons have an advantage over priests in counseling prisoners.
- In fact Watson has been ordained a deacon in 1856 and he took priest's orders two years later.
- Whitefield was converted in the spring of 1735, ordained a deacon in the Church of England in 1736, and preached his first sermon.
- In 1984 he was ordained a Catholic deacon and is currently a member of the pastoral staff at St. Colman Parish.
- Rachel T. Keeney is a seminary graduate and ordained deacon who currently ministers as a church secretary for a small urban congregation.
- Whether we are lay or ordained as bishops, priests, or deacons, we are all called in our baptism to servanthood as the foundation of ministry.
- Mr Blake said yesterday: ‘We shall be ordaining about 10 deacons and priests to serve in various parts of the church in the UK.’
- While the Irish Church does not yet have married permanent deacons, they are present elsewhere around the world as ordained deacons in the Catholic Church.
- In 1861, after some hesitation, he was ordained deacon in the Anglican Church but never chose to advance to full priesthood.
- His eldest son John was ordained as deacon, serving as curate under his father at Llangeitho.
- I remember many years ago attending the service when a friend was ordained as a deacon in her Episcopal church.
- I give the homilies in our church, and we do workshops with other priests and deacons and Protestant ministers on this subject.
- Eddie will be gaining pastoral experience while he works in the parish and hopes to be ordained a deacon in December and a priest next summer.
- He studied theology at Cambridge University before being ordained as a deacon and priest in 1979.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.