In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Derecholetra muerta femeninoto be a dead letter — ser letra muerta
- So it seems the 5th and 6th amendments to the Constitution are not dead letters after all, and those who cherish liberty can thank Judges Rosemary S. Pooler and Barrington D. Parker for reaffirming that fact.
- Why should we develop the common law to make the statute a dead letter?
- A law of August 1806 abolished feudalism but it remained a dead letter until 1808.
- Any federal law is likely to remain a dead letter unless we have built those hundreds of robust place-based coalitions ready to monitor the law's implementation and use it as an organizing tool.
- This is one of the reasons I'm uneasy about the entire Treaty having legal force - because all of the parts which talk about ‘sovereignty’ are effectively dead letters.
- By December 1941, when the United States entered the war, it was already convoying munitions to Britain, making most neutrality legislation a dead letter.
- Some people are of the opinion that the 1689 Bill of Rights is a dead letter, but the law will need to be changed in order for this to be so; and this may be a long and tedious process.
- Second, international law will become a dead letter, to be broken by powerful states at will.
- The harsh laws against intermarriage became dead letters.
- Unfortunately, the guideline made in the 1980s to control the height of new buildings has become virtually a dead letter.
- But the law is hardly a dead letter and Congress is not a toothless tiger.
- The nations that wrap themselves most tightly in international law are actually those responsible for turning that law, and its aspirations for the world, into a dead letter.
- In many ways the law has become a dead letter in Israel.
- If this task simply ends up becoming paperwork, the law will turn into a dead letter.
- The Act was a dead letter from the start and was repealed by Gladstone in 1871.
- The injustice was that the law had been allowed to become a dead letter, until suddenly without warning it was put into force ‘with the utmost vigour and severity’.
- Otherwise, it might be said with force that the normal rule is a dead letter.
- Unfortunately, he has let things slide; he has allowed the laws against immorality to become a dead letter, and the Viennese to do very much as they please.
- Environmental law, just like any other, is a dead letter if not enforced.
- I might be thought unnecessarily punctilious in drawing your attention to a law which has become in effect a dead letter, and which you would probably not wish to reactivate in the absence of an incitement to criminal violence.
2(undelivered letter)carta no reclamada femeninobefore noun dead-letter office — departamento de cartas no reclamadas masculino
- Apparently they are working at the U.S. Post Office, in the dead letter department.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.