In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(trader)dealer (in sth)
- arms/drug dealer — traficante de armas/drogas
- a dealer in livestock — un consignatario / tratante de ganado
- she's a record/car dealer — se dedica a la compra-venta de discos/coches
- visit your local Ford/Hoover dealer — visite a su concesionario Ford/representante Hoover más próximo
- a dealer in stolen goods — un reducidor
1.2Finanzascorredor de bolsa masculinocorredora de bolsa femeninocorredor de valores masculinocorredora de valores femeninoforeign currency dealer — agente de cambio femenino
- Prairie dogs that the company then sold to a pet dealer in Milwaukee later infected people.
- Diaries will be available within 10 days of booking an order, said Shantha Ravikumar, a product dealer in the city.
- ‘This was a reaction to the unknown,’ said a bullion dealer in London.
- It was a major dealer in the UK utilities market, handling 30% of the gas and electricity trade.
- Schoeni was a leading dealer in Chinese contemporary art with two galleries in Hong Kong's fashionable SoHo district.
- Each town has a blacksmith, a dealer in wands and staves, and a seller of potions.
- The gun was brought from a gun dealer in another city, where it would normally have to be picked up.
- The dealer in minerals sees the market value of the jewels he handles, not their beauty.
- The cyclist is offered the chance to get the cycle fitted with working lights by taking it along to a cycle dealer in York within 14 days of being issued with a ticket.
- A former dealer in replica guns, who did not want to be named, said that the illegal conversion of weapons to fire live ammunition was very difficult.
- Recently we procured another flower color type from a local dealer in horticultural plants.
- The Glasgow-based writer worked for many years as a dealer in second-hand, out-of-print and antiquarian books.
- The painting of Calais, being sold by a dealer in Hampshire, was also snapped up for the gallery.
- Rioux buys her plants from a dealer in Alberta and has a contract with an Alberta buyer for the sale of organic seeds and roots.
- But police now believe the electrical equipment was originally obtained from a dealer in Lancashire on December 17.
- The purchase and transfer of the art was conducted through a dealer in the U.S. who specializes in such art-donation schemes.
- He became an antique dealer in Leamington Spa and coached at Coventry.
- Although we bought calves locally for rearing, we sometimes bought them from a dealer in Cheshire.
- The edition, which was expected to fetch up to £10,000, was bought by a book dealer in Bristol.
- Bowring studied art history and has always been a dealer in art.
2Juegosthe dealer — el que da / reparte las cartas
- The dealer shuffles the cards and offers them to be cut by the player to the dealer's right.
- Every dealer in Vegas will tell you roulette is a sucker's game.
- This dealer deals each player seven cards in a row then puts the remaining cards in a face down pile in center of players.
- In some places it is the player to the right of the dealer who is dealt no cards and sits out of the play.
- The player on the left of the dealer takes the top card from his or her stack and lays at face up on the table.
- If there is a tie, the players that tie continue to cut the cards until a dealer is determined.
- The dealer can discard cards and draw replacements from the stock as fast as he or she likes.
- The early surrender rule allows the player to throw in the hand before the dealer checks the hole card for a Blackjack.
- At a four-player table the dealer of each hand sits out while the other three play.
- If all pass the cards are thrown in and there is a new deal of the same number of cards by the next dealer.
- Let's say everybody is dealt a bunch of small cards and the dealer has a deuce up.
- It's okay if one person gets an extra card, just make sure you shift dealers every game.
- Typically, the dealer banks the game, but in Pai Gow Poker, any player can be the banker.
- At the beginning of the game, the dealer deals to each player until the deck is exhausted.
- After each player receives their cards, the dealer takes one card and places it face up.
- When each player is finished the dealer then shows the opponent his highest hand.
- The game begins with the dealer flipping a card face-up in front of the person to his or her left.
- The example was given of a poker game where the dealer deals himself a straight flush.
- The room was brightly lit, dealers sat at the card tables and the wheel of fortune turned.
- He found work as a dealer in a casino but drugs and alcohol were a part of the scene and he eventually lost the job.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.