In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1escuadrón de la muerte masculino
- The death squad was sent across the country to murder political prisoners.
- He was part of a death squad working for the Nazis which killed more than 30,000 people along the eastern front.
- In 1976, when he was only five months old, his mother was murdered by a death squad during the brutal wave of repression by Argentina's military dictatorship.
- In fact there was the wall-to-wall suspicion that the group was the closest thing to a death squad, absolutely beyond the reaches or control of the police commissioner.
- Last year evidence emerged of a death squad, known as the ‘Werewolves’, operating within the police force and responsible for a dozen murders.
- On December 1 a union leader was kidnapped by a paramilitary death squad.
- The assassins were known to be members of a right-wing death squad.
- On April 7 a Colombian death squad struck at the family of a union leader, killing two adults and wounding three children.
- In 2001, he was indicted for the killings carried out by a death squad that executed 75 political prisoners in the weeks after the coup.
- The death squad arrived at the hotel shortly afterwards looking for what locals said was the European.
- An Irish human rights worker hiding from a paramilitary death squad in Colombia has been allowed to leave an isolated region controlled by right-wing extremists.
- So the prosecutors are keen to prosecute him on a 25-year sentence, for either drugs trafficking or links with a death squad.
- In the midst of the manhunt, a clandestine death squad emerged, and began murdering his associates, relatives, lawyers, and even his lawyers' families.
- He was subsequently killed by a loyalist death squad.
- When the death squad arrives to kill his father, they decide it would be best to make the deaths look like an accident.
- The Battalion was another name for the horrible death squad that was operating in Honduras at that time.
- But nobody really knows why their street was selected by the death squad.
- A quarter of a century after gunning down their victim, four members of a government-backed death squad were sentenced to 30 years each in prison for the murder.
- The report cites the activities of a death squad armed and funded by the country's wealthiest businessmen.
- Prosecutors accuse him of authorizing a military death squad to kill 15 suspected leftist guerrillas in 1991.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.