In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1the decider — el (partido de) desempate
- The Chilean had first served for the match in the 10th game of the decider.
- Wingman Paul Gardner crossed for the vital decider and two further goals from deadly marksman Innes made absolutely sure of a happy return journey.
- But he claimed the next two sets before Safin broke in the fourth game of the decider and clung on for victory.
- The four goals from Wayne Rooney sets up a decider in Istanbul.
- Despite taking the first game, Luo found it hard to cope with Santoso's fast paced game in the decider.
- He trailed 10-5 in the decider but reduced the deficit to one point, only for Shon to produce a late surge to clinch the match.
- The week leading up to the series decider was comfortably the worst week of my life.
- Australia have chosen the same line-up for the third consecutive Test against New Zealand in the series decider at Auckland tomorrow.
- With shoulders drooped, Geaves left the court and was never able to raise her game in the decider.
- Instead, in high risk matches such as derbies and League deciders, the goalkeeper is always in front of the opposing fans in the first half, then his own fans in the second half.
- He replaces Michael Kasprowicz in the team for the series decider, which starts at The Oval in London today.
- It rules him out of the Oval decider against India next week and the ICC Champions Trophy in Sri Lanka in September.
- In the series decider, he took seven wickets to play a stellar role in the victory.
- Umpires David Shepherd and Steve Bucknor join Australians Ricky Ponting, Michael Bevan and Glenn McGrath as survivors of the last two World Cup final deciders.
- Intriguingly, Bilton and Menston meet on the final weekend of the season in what is shaping up to be a championship decider.
- Gerry netted two goals in the decider and also won Man of the Match.
- York play promotion rivals Castlegarth in their final match which may prove to be the promotion decider.
- As it is, Britain won with a British ref, then Australia won with an Aussie ref, and so each side naturally wanted a personal referee for the decider.
- That appeared to take the wind out of the Williams sail as the fitter and more experienced Capriati won the first five games of the decider to make it nine in a row.
- Pudsey, who were leading 1-0 at the time, meet Holme Wood on Sunday in what will be a championship decider.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.