In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(in civil case) demandado masculino(in civil case) demandada femenino(in criminal case) acusado masculino(in criminal case) acusada femenino
- The case had taken a long time to get to court as the defendant had pleaded not guilty.
- The criminal law ought not to be less favourable to a defendant than the civil law.
- The terms of the order were not explained to the defendant by the magistrates in open court.
- Each case will turn on its own facts but in my view the claimants are more likely to succeed than the defendants.
- In fact the tenant was not treated less favourably than a defendant in the High Court.
- The reality of the matter is that the object of these proceedings is to make the other defendants liable.
- What was done was in direct response to a hazardous situation created by the defendants.
- The plaintiffs alleged trespass and the defendants claimed that they had a profit of grazing.
- Both the claimants and the defendants are in business for the purpose of making a profit.
- The Trial Chamber found that in the case at issue the defendants were guilty of persecution.
- The claimant and all three defendants were represented at the hearing of the application.
- All claimants claim that there was a conspiracy by the defendants to injure them by unlawful means.
- The defendants had approached and accused the police of kicking the girl, he said.
- She instructed the defendants to draw up on her behalf a new will and two deeds of gift accordingly.
- The prosecution say that the defendant was a man who could be violent in a calm and calculated way.
- It is odd that you can get an acquittal, without the defendant even having to appear in court.
- The court was told the defendant was stopped by police because he was not wearing a seat belt.
- If the conduct of the defendants is not an issue in a defamation trial, what on earth is?
- The case was adjourned so that all three defendants could appear in court together.
- Three defendants were each found liable to the plaintiff in a personal injuries case.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.