In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1carrera de coches en la que se pretende dejar fuera de combate a los demás participantes
- You really need a front row start to be in with a chance of a clean race otherwise it can turn into a bit of a demolition derby and you could find yourself having to muscle your way past.
- Do the narrow streets of Nice seem like a very stupid place to stage a demolition derby?
- The demolition derby put a fitting end to the night's classic carnage as the old cars from both classes fought each other to a standstill.
- The third and final race turned out to be more like a demolition derby.
- Despite the night's destruction 20 cars made it onto the track for the demolition derby.
- Greg and I have a date to go to the demolition derby this weekend, unless he has desk hours for his legal research class.
- Then came the in-betweens, made up of drivers over 25, whose hotly-contested race at times looked more like a demolition derby.
- After a night of full metal contact only 8 cars limped out for the demolition derby finale.
- Yet this wonderful and loving documentary somehow turns a demolition derby into a profound statement on the importance of life and what makes this place special.
- Everybody watched with vicarious intensity as the demolition derby continued, with both fighters getting caught and staggering.
- Five ‘semi-finalists’ were chosen to move into the second round of the demolition derby.
- Among the most anticipated events was the chariot race, a horse-drawn demolition derby.
- The sounds of the cars crashing during the demolition derby, along with the screams of excited, or maybe just drunk fans, added to the event's atmosphere.
- In a race that witnessed three safety car periods in was the last lap which resembled a demolition derby after the re-start.
- Swimming with feeding Blue sharks is like directing traffic at a demolition derby, except they come at us from all angles.
- The race was twice delayed by safety cars after initial laps that resembled more a demolition derby than a Grand Prix.
- All in all, it was not so much of a race, but more of a demolition derby, the sort of thing you see on dirt tracks in the USA or Australia.
- Lost Creek Raceway also plans to host concerts, car shows, flea markets, and demolition derbies, thereby establishing itself as a true multi-use facility.
- The fair's climactic event, the demolition derby, is drawing big crowds to the fairgrounds.
- Streamlined wheelchairs crash into each other with the ferocity of a demolition derby, and coaches bark orders from the sideline, with their usual bluntness.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.