In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- It's very easy, of course, to demonize the other side.
- Otherwise, we are doing just what we accuse the ‘other’ side of doing: demonizing the ‘enemy.’
- As such, one side may try to demonize the other by using cognitive stereotypes and simplifications while making their own side appear just.
- I'm not saying the characters aren't trite, I'm just saying the film goes out of its way to portray the whalers as uninformed rather than demonizing them.
- That was before the rise of shout TV and the hardening of partisanship and the growing attempts by each side to demonize the other.
- And of course you expect the other side to try to demonize him.
- We have to recognize that the other side will demonize us no matter what we actually do so there is no margin in trying to tailor our image.
- The same anger can be seen in the protest/counter-protest conflicts that happen on street corners across the nation, where each side, to a degree, demonizes the other.
- He is a long time anti-nuclear activist who will seek any opportunity to demonize anything connected with radiation.
- The media, police and state government are seeking to intimidate and demonise them, depict them as violent troublemakers and force them out of the city.
- They then demonise the other side so that there is no compromise solution or anything good about them at all.
- Each side will demonise the other for support of their cause.
- By carefully delineating each character, Lee avoids demonising either side - their actions always understandable, if not forgivable.
- All of these threaten the vital demonising propaganda that makes violence possible.
- Wartime propaganda commonly has the same effect, demonizing the other side, even when both sides expect the war to end with a negotiated peace.
- If we persist in demonising young people - portraying them as trouble-makers who need to be kept off our streets - we shouldn't be surprised if some of them, at least, turn out to be demons.
- To demonise the ‘other side’ in a conflict only leaves the path open for the same problems to happen again, and again, and again.
- Likewise, the movie seeks neither to glorify nor to demonize slavery.
- In every war, both sides demonise their enemy to depersonalise them and make it easier for their soldiers to pull the trigger.
- But dialogue is not about one side demonizing the other.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.