In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Remember the floods, which brought deoxygenated water with rotting vegetation that smells like raw sewerage to Ballina, and killed all the fish in the Richmond?
- Silting, aggravated by autumn leaf fall, had deoxygenated the water but the conservation-keen couple were reluctant to restore the tarn until they knew more about its history.
- This non-invasive device uses a combination red and infra-red light passed through a patient's finger to determine a ratio of oxygenated and deoxygenated hemoglobin.
- The right ventricle then pumps deoxygenated blood through the pulmonic valve and back to the lungs.
- The right side of the heart receives deoxygenated blood though the veins.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.