In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Eltham is sometimes depicted as a deprived area with few recreation venues and nothing to offer children.
- Canadians are no longer depicted as being any one cultural background, race or heritage.
- The exhibition showed a number of paintings, depicting a wide spectrum of society.
- The painting depicts the last journey of the Temeraire, a famous warship sold by the Royal Navy in 1838.
- He's depicted as a lonely man who doesn't even take the time to enjoy the money he makes.
- Describe how the film depicts the mental process or expression, and why the film is so effective in doing so.
- The tribute does not applaud or pay homage to the people who are depicted as maids, but to their servitude.
- Domestic and international politics were depicted as opposite sides of the same coin.
- Since the eighteenth century, the depressed person had been depicted as attention-seeking.
- The paintings depict scenes from Hindu mythology and the colours would never fade.
- Words fail to depict the pain and suffering of that memory.
- Her relationship with William was depicted as a love affair, involving many partings and returns from war.
- The words depict Rose as an art model from the Bronx transported to Greenwich Village.
- Her paintings include a painting that depicts a group of women in tears.
- Yet, the incident was depicted as another example of a farmer abusing his worker.
- She was in and out of hospital for the rest of her life and her paintings often depict her suffering.
- The miser is at times depicted as an unhappy man bringing misery not only to himself but also to others.
- The food is traditional hearty Saxon fair, and there are paintings on the wall depicting scenes from the play.
- Perhaps it is for this reason that hill running is sometimes depicted as an obscure offshoot of mainstream athletics.
- He belonged to the noble or warrior caste and is depicted as wealthy and indulgent towards his son.
- Her paintings depict the rugged beauty of Inishmurray and the medium she uses is watercolour.
- His mould paintings depicted a range of subjects including a ballerina, the house he lived in and a guardsman.
- A touching painting was the one depicting motherhood made in canvas by K. Kumaran.
- As in a disaster movie, the lives are depicted as parallel narratives, hinged on the impending disaster.
- Factory workers are depicted as work-shy and devious, company directors as unscrupulous.
- The painting depicts various containers and bottles on an old varnished counter.
- Paintings of Timothy Thilakumar depict his deep attachment for flowers and woods.
- Chimpanzees have been depicted as killer apes whereas they are really more than that.
- Today such sentiments tend to be treated with scepticism, if not depicted as elitist.
- They have been depicted as failing as human beings, as moral beings, in these respects.
- The viewer is first confronted with a painting depicting a large telephone.
- The city art museum, the Herbert Gallery, is nearby, and houses several paintings depicting the Godiva story.
- Urquhart pointed out the painting Henry was receiving depicts a father and son hunting high in the mountains.
- All Arthur had was the rights to the novel and a portfolio of paintings depicting possible scenes.
- This painting depicted a group of city guardsmen awaiting the command to fall in line.
- The four-metre wide painting depicts a typical Lowry scene of Victorian life in a northern cotton town.
- Bung Karno was drawn to paintings depicting heroism because he was always engaged in struggle.
- The installations featured short films and paintings depicting the band members by Shepard Fairey.
- Yet he implored that the Indian Empire should not be depicted as an exclusive commercial concern.
- The earliest known painting to depict a Shakespearean scene is being bought by the National Trust, it was announced today.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.