In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Illegal residency was made a criminal offence, and a special police force was set up to seize and deport foreigners or rejected asylum-seekers.
- The grounds for deporting foreigners living in Germany have also been extended, as have the grounds for denying them a legal right to stay.
- He said many of them have been afraid to seek help because they fear being deported as illegal aliens.
- Mr Mendis was deported as an illegal immigrant after 16 years in the country.
- The aim of the operation is to catch, jail, prosecute and ultimately deport illegal aliens trying to enter this country.
- Last year, one of my neighbours was rounded up as part of an operation to deport illegal immigrants.
- When the matter came before a judge, he ordered the girls to be arrested and deported as illegal immigrants.
- Only in 1998, when Italy threatened to start deporting illegal immigrants, did asylum requests suddenly climb to 6930.
- Previous versions of the bill explicitly allowed police to deport foreigners for participation in political demonstrations.
- And I would recommend, first, closing the borders and deporting illegal aliens, but welcoming legal aliens.
- Three illegal immigrants have been deported after a suspected brothel was raided in a village.
- A 1996 immigration reform law allows the government to deport illegal aliens convicted of an aggravated felony.
- Ms Mutiti regretted that inadequate Government funding made it difficult for the department to repatriate and deport illegal immigrants.
- As of September 1, the immigration police returned to its aggressive tracking activities to expose and deport illegal immigrants.
- With unemployment rising, the government announced measures to deport illegal foreign workers.
- A Maryland county executive says we should embrace illegal aliens and not deport them.
- The government also moved to deport 10 foreigners convicted during the 19 days of violence in troubled poor neighborhoods.
- The system would also provide an automatic list of those who have overstayed visas - making it easier to find and deport illegal immigrants.
- To that end they have the power to deport aliens convicted of criminal offences.
- The Home Secretary will have greater freedom to exclude and deport foreigners preaching hate and violence.
- In his younger days, at the Australian academy, he did not always deport himself with the required delicacy.
- But there is a general accord amongst historians that she gave a lot of attention to the care of her body and the way she deported herself.
- How you walk, how you deport yourself, how you behave in the queue for food: these things are all important because they may be saying something to your opponents.
- The decision we take on how we deport ourselves over the months ahead will go very much to the reputation and standing of this country in the councils of the world.
- And people say he deports himself in a very presidential way.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.