In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Hostile behaviors range from criticism or derogation to actual physical aggression such as pushing or hitting.
- For more than a century, we can trace a consistent biological derogation of women, by men, right up to the present.
- It suggests that you can have outgroup derogation without ingroup love prejudice.
- After all, ethnic slurs can start out as euphemisms (meant to avoid identifying anyone blatantly by nationality) before evolving into derogations.
- However, attitudes toward the civil rights of gay people might be directly related to measures of out-group derogation.
- Enthusiasm was a term of derogation among her contemporaries.
- Women who have a sense of personal inadequacy may project their views about themselves to a lack of trust and derogation of women in general.
- He concludes with a gibe at his colleagues' casual derogation of the blogs.
- That is, low-power parents engaged in more verbal derogation of children than did high-power parents after being primed to think in terms of competition.
- Inversely, lack of assets and failure to ‘live nobly’ could in certain circumstances lead to derogation or loss of nobility.
- Both hussy and housewife have their origin in Old English huswif, but hussy has undergone semantic derogation.
- Those failing the test would remain in derogation: to all intents and purposes, they would be excluded from the new institutional framework.
- Some sections of the public are now trained to feast on other people's downfalls and derogation.
- I don't think the prosecution should sit on their hands in court if the defence is using derogation of victims in mitigation.
- The semantic derogation of women fulfils a dual function: it helps to construct female inferiority and it also helps to confirm it.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.