In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Today, the company, which supplies the Garage, dropped its prices to 79.9p per litre on unleaded, 85.9p on LRP and 83.9p per litre on derv - roughly 5p down on last week.
- ‘It's costing us about £25,000 per month for derv,’ he said.
- Also I doubt if many will own their cars long enough to recoup the additional purchase price and the extra cost of derv.
- Deep-sea fishermen blockaded the majority of French southern yacht and sport ports in protest against derv (diesel oil) price increases.
- Smaller operators tend not to be quite as well organised and suffer from resistance to claims for haulage rates increases on the back of increases in the cost of derv.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.