In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- During the descant finale, however, instinct won out.
- In some hymnals a descant is provided for the refrain.
- A soaring girl soprano descant adds another heavenly layer to the already rich texture.
- The song is presented in three arrangements - in three parts with descant, in one part with a descant and in three parts without a descant and there is also a recording of the instrumental backing without singers.
- Jacques told me that everyone was in such awe when I sang it, no one would sing the descant while I was at college.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.