In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- One ingredient found in almost all tablet or capsule containers is a desiccant - cotton batten or a small canister containing a harmless, water-absorbing compound.
- Unlike cooling-based dehumidifiers, which cool the air to condense moisture, desiccants attract moisture molecules directly from the air and release them into an exhaust air stream.
- Anhydrous sodium hydroxide is another common laboratory desiccant, or substance that removes water.
- However, desiccants contain chemical agents that may be toxic to children, pets, and the chemically sensitive.
- Silica gel isn't a true gel, but a granulated chemical desiccant composed partly of silicon.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.