In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1desiderátum masculino formal
- As no longer an order imposed by nature, it is clear that subjective freedom is an essential desideratum: the relation of marriage must of all things be between self-consciously free individuals.
- Well, you know, these are among the desiderata, the telltales, of great art in any culture!
- With no social contract (the desideratum of the advocates of the social), there can be no social relations, and therefore no social.
- The early presidents, it seems, were all devotees of Scripture who deemed the Bible a desideratum for both governor and governed.
- The full desiderata of resort luxury is here, including huge seafront grounds private villas and fine dining - not to mention a spa where the healing hands are exceptional.
- Our ships should be the best of their kind - this is the first desideratum.
- Although taxonomic stability may be a desideratum, in reality taxonomic stability is a manifestation of scientific stagnation.
- A global world is a place where, for once, the desideratum of moral responsibility and survival coincide and blend.
- While these are the essential requirements, certain additional desiderata should perhaps be recorded.
- Those bedrooms, while not obvious desiderata for a family of three, should bring the asking price up to half a million dollars.
- Variety and abundance were desiderata and restrained components of animals, buildings, landscape, etc. should therefore be included.
- It enshrines the essential desideratum of popular criticism - it only criticizes other people.
- Conversely, once cultural exposure is established as an urgent desideratum, can areas of inquiry like biblical criticism continue to be viewed as off limits?
- In the arena of sex, ‘virtuousness’ for women but ‘virtuosity’ for men have always been the desiderata.
- For small companies, where centralized management is not a desideratum, this solution may be feasible.
- The concept that has replaced efficiency as the great desideratum in genetic coding is error-tolerance, or robustness.
- There are many desiderata of a successful privatization process, not all of which are compatible.
- In his view, avoiding ‘social dissension’ is more than a policy desideratum or a prudent aspiration.
- This was the great desideratum of the machine as first brought over to this country and shown in Hyde Park; nor have our implement makers, though they introduce some important improvements, succeeded in supplying the want this indicated.
- In principle that does seem to be the ideal solution to reach the twin desiderata in health care: cost control and clinical freedom for providers.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.