In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The second is artful, cunning, and designing; shielding the rich man from the possibility of being entrapped, and affecting at the same time, to have a tender and scrupulous regard, for the interests of the whole community.
- It is not conjured up by cunning and designing men.
- Although good ethics exist in the profession of law, nevertheless the profession is not without the unscrupulous cunning, and designing fellow members.
- She is a weak, unintelligent girl; he a strong, cunning, and designing man.
- Without such a check, the press, in the hands of evil and designing men, would become a most formidable engine, and as mighty for mischief as for good.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.