In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(village/city) saquearto despoil sth/sb of sth — despojar algo/a algn de algo
- If humankind was able, finally, to make industrial progress without the factory conditions of the 19th Century; surely we have the wit and will to develop economically without despoiling the very environment we depend upon.
- Many have reverted to despoiling the nearest remaining forest for firewood.
- Plastic and organic waste clogs rivers, despoils the environment and fouls the seas.
- When I spotted a deer on a hike, I took it as a sort of assurance that not everything has been despoiled and that the natural order remains at least somewhat intact.
- This is not a charter for despoiling the countryside.
- These atrocities are despoiling our people and our paradise as hope dwindles.
- A caricature of greatness despoils the memory.
- Some of the country's finest beaches are despoiled during the summer, with discarded nappies, bottles, crisp packets and even animal carcases.
- We face a planet that is despoiled and impoverished.
- If you despoil a whole town, if you wreck the environment for thousands of people, somebody's going to describe you as an entrepreneurial genius.
- They claim it despoils the environment and denies human rights.
- By our greed, we had despoiled the environment and were consuming a disproportionate share of the world's wealth and resources.
- The facade is vandalised - not a single pane of glass remains and graffiti despoils the faience tiling - and also has extensive vegetation sprouting from the most unlikely places.
- And at the same time as risking their lives, the youngsters are despoiling one of the area's beloved landscape features.
- A massive expansion of wind power involving thousands of new turbines will go ahead despite increasingly bitter wrangling over claims that they are despoiling Britain's countryside.
- Since arriving back, he said he seen numerous examples of beauty spots being despoiled.
- Having huge 63 foot high telecommunications poles despoiling our environment is not acceptable to residents.
- Their place in the world has been stolen; they've been despoiled of their work and their land.
- The pollution caused by these companies despoils the environment for local communities, and some pollutants put wildlife and human health at risk.
- However, lack of law enforcement in the area is leading to both visitors and investors despoiling the pristine area.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.