In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- They smack of totalitarian despotism, and their quaint claim for absolute certainty seems anachronistic in this postmodern age of relativism and deconstruction.
- This places limits on governments and reduces the likelihood of tyranny and despotism.
- The fact is that every Christian government that preceded them thought that Christianity implied tyranny, despotism, and the oppression of non-Christians.
- This kind of freedom may coincide with the cruellest despotism and with the subjugation of the overwhelming majority of the people.
- Along with magnanimous Turks and philosophical Persians, the Chinese as exemplars of the world's greatest enlightened despotism played an important role in transforming Europe's self-image.
- Some believe that the only solution for government in parts of the world is for there to be tyranny or despotism.
- Today we define despotism (along with dictatorship and totalitarianism) as a form of government.
- The more we nourish widespread ambition, the less we have to fear the overweening power of mild despotism.
- The German law is wider, as it refers to persecution under National Socialism or any other form of despotism or tyranny.
- The primary cause of all this danger is the Arab world's endemic despotism, corruption, poverty, and economic stagnation.
- In a word, no distinction was now drawn between despotism, tyranny, and absolute monarchy.
- America was born in a revolution against Western imperialism, born as a haven of freedom against the tyrannies and despotism, the wars and intrigues of the old world.
- Cultural sovereigns in their own right, Ovid and Dante, despite official exile from their native home, had made their poetic stand against tyranny and despotism.
- The corruption and despotism of his regime are not new phenomena.
- He wanted to free Europe from tyranny, oppression and despotism.
- There is still a recognizable contrast with the European experience on the continent, with absolutism and enlightened despotism.
- That's not the rule of law; it's the arbitrary despotism of kings.
- From exile during the Revolutionary and Napoleonic period nobles and clergy who had defended their privileges against enlightened despotism before 1789 now saw things in a different light.
- I do admire in that work your condemnation of arbitrary power and despotism as destructive of freedom.
- The best way to do this is to actively encourage its sponsoring regimes towards democracy and away from the tyranny and despotism that breeds it.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.