In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(line) diagonal(path) en diagonal
- We can see that as we increase resolution, drawing a straight, diagonal line looks better.
- This study consisted of a grid of 15 squares, each inscribed with one or more horizontal, vertical, and diagonal lines in different orientations.
- At one point the dancer stamped nimbly in a diagonal line across the stage and stopped in the front corner.
- Press your heels down onto the ball, pull your abs inward, and raise your hips and torso off the floor until your ankles, hips and shoulders are in a straight, diagonal line.
- Towards the west end is the main staircase, its bottom flight skewed to the angle of the south wing in response to the diagonal thrust of the approach.
- In the grid numerous long diagonal white lines can clearly be seen.
- Symbols occurring close to the diagonal line represent a perfect match between simulated and measured data.
- They form a diagonal shape at the bottom of the torso, and can be divided into the front triangle and the back triangle.
- The thin diagonal line is the 1: 1 relationship.
- I bought a black sleeveless Lycra shirt with yellow and white diagonal stripes across the chest.
- In the second half Windermere had the advantage of the diagonal crosswind and continued to apply pressure to the Gosforth line without turning it into points.
- The solid diagonal line represents the situation when the two estimated distributions were identical.
- The starting positions of the first instance of the repeat on the upper strand and the starting position of the second instance of the repeat on the lower strand are connected by a diagonal line.
- A diagonal line separated a triangle of white and another of blue that together formed a rectangle.
- These rays are also useful artistically for breaking up the shapes of the mountains with diagonal lines.
- A reflective road sign with diagonal stripes of black and white thrusts itself upward through the picture plane.
- He imagined how a diagonal line cutting across a square would divide the square into two right triangles.
- The other diagonal lines specify points with this ratio above 10, 100, and 1000.
- Score the squid by holding the knife at an angle and making diagonal cuts, taking care not to cut right through.
- If each successive 10% of households held 10% of total income, then the curve would be a diagonal line at 45°.
- This is accomplished by avoiding vertical, horizontal or diagonal lines, and checker-board patterns of pixels for which the color level is decremented.
- The design was very nice, with diagonal lines forming a grid, each square filled with a snapshot of the movie in rich, warm tones.
- The film, with the exception of one shot, is composed of precisely two camera angles: a diagonal shot from the dashboard towards the passenger seat, and another, similar shot towards the driver seat.
- The diagonal passes that are fed in are very difficult to defend against.
- The diagonal line indicates where the data points would be if the measurements obtained with the 2 techniques were identical.
- Draw two diagonal lines dividing the square and the rectangle into triangles.
- The diagonal line indicates d N = d S, meaning neutral selection.
- As for color, choose a gold and black regimental tie with alternating diagonal stripes.
- The scabs had faded, so there were only two faint pink diagonal lines.
- One end of the upper stone was fixed to a pivot and both stones were ‘dressed’ with small diagonal grooves which crossed each other at an angle as the upper stone swept across the lower in an arc.
- If scaffolds are not set away, mortar may lodge on diagonal bracing and adhere to wall.
- Fibonacci fans are composed of diagonal lines.
- Pencil-thin diagonal blues and greens angle across the surface like tracer-bullet tracks streaking across a movie screen.
- The points 11 to 13, outside the common ancestor 3 of the probes 7 and 9, lie on the diagonal line A.
- One option is to draw a diagonal line between two opposite points to represent movement between here and there.
- The column spacing makes for a complex, overlapping matrix when viewed from a diagonal angle.
- Double diagonal lines indicate an area not drawn to scale.
- In principle, with perfect agreement between the two sequences, all points will lie on the diagonal line, while large deviations indicate large branch length differences.
- The diagonal line connecting these two points must equal 5 feet.
1diagonal femeninoa skirt cut on the diagonal — una falda cortada al bies / al sesgo
- A wood sculpture from 2002 bunches several small rectangular forms beneath two lengthy diagonals that meet at the top like the tips of fingers joined in prayer.
- The paved walkway I follow runs at a diagonal across the slope toward the beach.
- Spanning the entire adjacent wall, an ascending diagonal was joined by a rippled line.
- The quartet begins with the dancers - dressed in everyday clothes, but colorful so as not to be dull under stage lights - standing in a square formation along a slight diagonal.
- Nothing is in a predictable relationship; the beams are not the same sizes, and although they pass through each other in fairly straight diagonals, the effect is entanglement, not movement.
- He shaped for a diagonal into the box, before cutting through a low drive that swerved slightly away from the goalkeeper.
- Circles, rounded shapes and curves have become prominent in Ross's work, whether in terse, varicolored, concentric bands or in combination with diagonals, pentagons and trapezoids.
- There is nothing static in Strand's New York: It is a city built of passing glances, a streetscape of dashing diagonals and unexpected angles.
- Arrange in a circle, in corners or in a diagonal.
- They can be disturbing unless supported by verticals or opposing diagonals.
- These lines also work best when they follow a diagonal, rather than a straight horizontal or vertical.
- It wasn't the fact that she was unused to the size of the car, or that little Billy was throwing a fit on the back seat that meant she ended up forming a diagonal between the white lines, oh no.
- Let stand ten minutes, then slice very thin and on the diagonal.
- The paintings are thick with diagonals; light is pure color, color is pure stroke.
- The truncated shapes often incorporate diagonals, and these shapes, in turn, recur in the artist's paintings.
- Set against the rectangular everyday norm, it is the zigzags and clashing diagonals of the interior that provide the most convincing symbols of conflict, giving real identity to the purpose of the building.
- Miller photographs buildings from high angles to get repeating diagonals and pyramidlike forms, then manipulates this imagery so that it draws the eye inward or seems to project from the surface of the picture.
- His perspectives, building across the paper horizontally, were slightly tilted and cut by occasional diagonals, almost as if caught by an amateur's camera.
- The positioning of the diving board - coming at a diagonal out of the corner - gives perspective as well as cutting across the predominant horizontals.
- Take cuttings from last seasons growth, cut just below the bud and trim the top on the diagonal.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.