In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Alternating dark and light parallel lines on the detector mark where columns of silicon atoms diffract the electrons.
- So as the single photon's wave function passes through the slits it is diffracted and interferes with itself.
- His lab has developed a chip device that diffracts light in the presence of certain antibodies.
- You wouldn't see the rainbow effect if you used two reflecting surfaces an inch apart because that distance too large to diffract visible light.
- In 1912, Max von Laue predicted that the spacing of crystal layers is small enough to diffract light of the appropriate wavelength.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.