In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
inglés de Australia
- It's also great fun listening out for all the dinkum Aussie accents amongst the talented cast.
- It is light and satisfying, the flakiness - the result of using real butter, unbleached flour and no preservatives - is the dinkum deal.
- Which was just as well, really - for as every dinkum Aussie knows, booing the Prime Minister at sporting events is the Australian way.
- By the time I arrived scenes reminiscent of the end of World War II were already underway, but I interrupted the spontaneous dancing to grab these quotes from dinkum Aussies who have been doing it tough.
- I was getting more dinkum vernacular from the host than the callers.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.