In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- A huge dinner service, the wedding gift of Kaiser William II, the tsar's cousin, will also be on display.
- Teenager Alison finds a dusty dinner service in the loft of her Welsh holiday home.
- They seemed rather stiff, as if they had just received some bad news, and she didn't seem much happier when I gave her the note but she told me to bring the dinner set to her.
- Old photographs are transferred in blue glaze to a dinner service which is now in use in her family.
- It was part of a depleted dinner service that I've had since university, and which has seen better days.
- Among the more unusual pieces were plates and other items from a dinner service decorated with a coronet and the letter ‘B’.
- In 1877 John Mackay had hired Tiffany & Co. of New York City to make a silver dinner service for his wife.
- From the moment Alison discovers the dinner service in the attic, with its curious pattern of floral owls, a chain of events is set in progress that is to affect everybody's lives.
- His work for Meissen included the supervision of the decoration of the dinner service presented by Friedrich August of Saxony to the Duke of Wellington (c. 1820; London, Apsley House).
- Later dessert flatware, whether matching the dinner service or not, often had extra embellishment in the form of gilding and/or engraving.
- After we had cleared most of the dinner service, I noticed that my sink was draining slowly.
- In an intriguing story of intertwining histories, 120 pieces from a magnificent dinner service ordered for George III have found their way to Britain.
- After spending thousands on the moving process, the last thing people will want to do when moving to their new home is spend even more on replacing their valuables - whether it is their best dinner service, a DVD, jewellery or antiques.
- Then mix equal parts from each tube and form into a knife shape, using a metal fork from your first-class dinner service (or a metal spoon you carry aboard) for the handle.
- The dinner service seems to be a victim of the demise of the dining room.
- Items including paintings worth £5,000, a tailor's dummy; an antique dinner service and even a pet goat have been discovered by new home owners.
- Arranged all around it was a complete dinner set in Samian ware - four plates, four cups and four dishes, and a Samian serving dish.
- In January 1866 the retailer E. V. Haughwout hired Lycett to paint additional pieces of the Lincoln dinner service for President Andrew Johnson.
- After hearing a scratching noise in the attic, the fragile, recently bereaved Alison discovers a dinner service imprinted with flowered owls.
- We can't wait to invite our friends around for dinner and test-run our new dinner service.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.