In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Nothing has been said about what would become of parishes, clergy, or dioceses in a church which walks apart.
- A large version of the candle will be lit in every church in the diocese at Christmas.
- Two or three of the metropolitan dioceses offer welcomed exceptions to this general rule.
- Bishops' activities were confined to their own dioceses and monasteries exempted from episcopal interference.
- Rather than dump him out of the priesthood, as happened in other dioceses, Dublin diocese decided to help him responsibly manage his life.
- Seven dioceses and eparchies, which are dioceses of the Eastern Catholic Churches, were not in compliance by year's end.
- As in many other dioceses, there is no structured prison ministry at the diocesan level.
- Mr Fielding is director of education in the diocese of Grahamstown and archdeacon of Albany.
- A number of Church of England dioceses have organised peace vigils to coincide with the demonstration.
- The bishop of my own diocese acknowledged as much in his pastoral letter on the subject.
- Detroit was one of the first dioceses to close parishes on a large scale.
- It is located in the diocese of Lucknow, one of 27 dioceses in the Church of North India.
- Critics of the plans claimed the bishop should have shut other churches in the diocese if he wanted to save money.
- Secondly, the pope was head of all the bishops of the Western dioceses, including those of Africa, with regard to questions of discipline and faith.
- Parishes and dioceses have been asked to study the issues involved and to listen respectfully to the views of others.
- The organizational structure of parishes and dioceses is not a divine formula.
- Indeed, dioceses, parishes, and individuals should be more free to follow their consciences.
- That's one reason that there has been a spontaneous burst of energy in dioceses whose bishops are retiring.
- He had been due to appear before the Consistory Court of the diocese of Ripon and Leeds, opening in Leeds on Monday.
- Two parish priests in the dioceses of Lincoln and Southwark even provided dates for the ceremonies, which they agreed could take place in their own churches.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.