In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1varilla (medidora) del aceite femenino
- When loosening the dipstick, see if there's any ‘give’ in the oil fill tube.
- The fast-fit specialist carried out vehicle inspections at three of its recent fleet safety days and found that almost 25% of cars checked needed at least one litre of oil while one engine had no trace of oil on the dipstick.
- I opened the door, released the lever and pulled out the dipstick.
- With regard to soot or debris, these would be noticeable on the dipstick or through your sense of touch.
- The correct procedure for checking oil is to pull out the dipstick, wipe it dry and then insert it back in its place.
- Never run a mower when the oil level is below the add mark on the dipstick.
- On some equipment, a visual sight glass or gauge shows fluid levels without opening the system, while on others a dipstick or other manual measuring device is used.
- The fuel levels were checked as being correct prior to the flight with a dipstick and, without any reason to suspect a leak, the pilot assumed a gauge error.
- Could he recall what was showing on the dipstick after filling the engine with oil?
- You can make a dipstick by nailing a shiny can lid to the end of a stick at least three-feet long and marking one inch graduations on the stick.
- The good news for consumers is there's no need to look under the hood anyway, as the dipstick and filler openings for the windshield washer fluid and engine oil are hidden in a service module behind the faux grille on the front of the car.
- The fueler stated that he ‘did not observe either pilot check the fuel dipsticks, climb up the fueler's ladder to check the fuel or walk around the airplane.’
- Aaiu investigators said the flight crew had not take the precaution of taking a manual reading of fuel tank levels with a dipstick at Luton.
- Does this airplane have a calibrated dipstick for the tanks?
- It's one of the legends of motoring that early VW Beetles lacked even a gas gauge, the hapless owner having to use a dipstick to check whether there was enough fuel in the tank to get home.
- I pulled over and yanked the dipstick: not a hint of oil.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.