In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1director general masculinodirectora general femeninothe director general for agriculture/information — el director general de agricultura/información
- Collins is leaving his position six months early to facilitate an easy transition for the new director general.
- We have three main structures headed each by a director general.
- It does this every few years by appointing a chairman, who in turn chooses a director general.
- By the end of the week both the director general of the BBC and the chairman of its board of governors had resigned.
- It's the Brit Awards tonight - just as the BPI is making its director general redundant.
- I went to a talk at the Royal Society by the incoming director general of the World Trade Organisation.
- The director general said the tax collection rate will decrease, not rise, following the tax restructuring.
- Iraqi directors general head the local government offices overseeing basic services and have been drawn into planning local reconstruction.
- He is also a former director general of the Irish Management Institute.
- Governors, directors general and controllers have come and gone.
- Ottawa sources say Green issued an edict to the regional directors general at the beginning of the last fiscal year that no deficits would be allowed.
- Clifford, the director general of the National Galleries of Scotland, was central to the successful campaign to secure it for the nation.
- The new director general's plans include setting up two new BBC channels to supplement BBC1 and BBC2.
- The Institute of European Affairs last week announced his appointment as its director general.
- The chairman of Lloyds and the director general of the CBI agree.
- He has written to the director general of the Prison Service demanding an end to the ‘liberal regime’.
- He said that until the fine detail of the director general's plans was known, it was impossible to know what their response would be.
- The former director general of the BBC tells his side of the Gilligan affair story and talks about his life in television.
- They faxed a letter to a civil servant in the director general's office.
- But the outgoing director general says that it would never have come to Scotland if he had not invented a fake deadline.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.