In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1descubridor masculinodescubridora femenino
- The voyage of Columbus is a landmark in the Age of Exploration when numerous discoverers opened up the New World.
- It undermined the well-connected Lady Jane Franklin in her obsessive quest to glorify Sir John as discoverer of the Northwest Passage.
- The first discoverers of the Solomon Islands were the island peoples themselves.
- Just think of the fame that would be attached to the discoverer of a new planet.
- He is credited with being the first European discoverer of the St. Lawrence River.
- In 1801, Sir William Herschel, discoverer of the planet Uranus, published a different view.
- So, sometimes, like Columbus, or like other great discoverers, you have to proceed from scientific certainty, rather than trend lines.
- What would that have said about us as a culture, to get closeup images from a distant planet within the lifetime of its discoverer?
- Native Americans were living next to the river before de Soto got there, and yet he gets remembered as the discoverer.
- Since 1935 California has celebrated Cabrillo Day on September 28, honoring the discoverer of that state.
- The discoverers of Mt Morgan, Qld, in 1882 were gamblers who searched where others passed by.
- Some of the first pulsar planet discoveries were later retracted by their discoverers.
- Its orbit is so eccentric, however, that the discoverers suggested it should be considered a wandering asteroid rather than a true planet.
- Howard Carter, the actual discoverer of the tomb, who ought to have been the prime victim, lived until 1939.
- Rae had been the actual discoverer of the Northwest Passage.
- Henry Hudson made four journeys that are recorded in the history books, and is credited as the European discoverer of Hudson Bay.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.