In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- An eight-metre yacht is due to arrive here today after it was dismasted and almost capsized in gale-force winds along the Wild Coast late on Tuesday night.
- Yes, I have heard something curious on that score, sir; how that a dismasted man never entirely loses the feeling of his old spar, but it will still be pricking him at times.
- Only one of the crewmen survived; the couple on the dismasted sailboat was rescued by helicopter.
- The boat was dismasted, the engine and electronic equipment didn't work, and the cabin was partially flooded.
- He succeeded brilliantly but at the cost of reducing his flagship to a dismasted wreck.
- Some ships were dismasted and used as prison or storage hulks.
- It had been forced to run before another violent storm until, dismasted and rudderless, it too had struck the huge rock at the mouth of Farnescombe Bay.
- The two first class stamps show Nelson wounded and the British ships, the cutter Entreprenante and Belleisle, which was left dismasted.
- Last year, the same boat was dismasted during the race.
- Another yacht was dismasted off the The Needles and was towed into Poole by the Swanage lifeboat.
- In the past month alone, the Dunmore East lifeboat crew had travelled 48 miles south east of the harbour to the rescue of a dismasted French yacht and brought it ashore.
- The race began with light winds, but things got dicey the next day as a northeaster raged through the fleet in the Bay of Fundy with winds up to 40 knots, and six boats dismasted.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.