In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- A botched kidnapping brings together a disparate group of characters in this Norwegian black comedy.
- Its strength is not disavowed by its disparate and often contrary nature.
- Like the time you handled a disgruntled team of disparate personalities while doing a college project.
- Alexander wants to encourage a consensus among this disparate body of men and women, harnessing their talents for the good of the nation.
- A party of disparate membership, it was united against the rule of the KMT when in opposition.
- But it has really hit a nerve with a disparate, diverse audience from all walks of life.
- The Internet is an electrified reflection of the disparate world we live in.
- Communities seem friendly but disparate, and privacy and isolation seem to be central to an Icelander's style of life.
- Instead, the exhibition drew out some of the common themes and ideas that emerged in what was a disparate group of works.
- You would think this was a switch doomed from the start, given the completely disparate nature of the two jobs.
- The men they all have to impress, however, are quite a disparate bunch.
- Their action is made more dynamic by the free movement of ideas across a diverse and disparate network.
- The medium of television has only increased the power of sports to be a shared experience among a disparate population.
- Ruef has found that disparate information and its transmission are keys to innovation.
- A disparate band of Hollywood approved odd-bods head off into the jungle.
- There is also the question of disparate impact, particularly upon minorities and the poor.
- But it seems our aesthetic is so fractured, so disparate now that there's no common thread, no anchor to hang on to.
- The recent performance of ‘The Island’ in London was attended by a wide and disparate audience.
- Not surprisingly, this vast and disparate cast of characters is hard pressed to agree on so vast and disparate an agenda.
- We will have the most disparate and diverse opposition in the Dáil for nearly 50 years.
- What the home was lacking was a unified palette to warm the spaces and draw together disparate elements.
- Hopefully the disparate threads will be able to come together in the fourth and last volume of the show.
- For us to succeed, it is essential for disparate groups to work together to achieve these common goals.
- Heading into the home straight, all these disparate elements finally come together.
- He saw too how the disparate elements of travel might be packaged.
- The difference between those and these findings may be due the disparate methodologies used.
- Or that the quests of the motley participants were too disparate to find common ground.
- He teases his viewers with disparate elements that are not always easy to identify.
- There was one thing that tied the disparate elements together - they were all pro-intervention.
- The crux of the difference between humans and machines is the disparate ways that we prune this tree.
- One, with strongly racist overtones, links three disparate elements.
- At the root of differing transatlantic views of nature were utterly disparate sagas of land settlement.
- Here the demand, however, is very diffuse, confused, composed of disparate elements.
- He moved comfortably between the two disparate and contradictory worlds of the frontier.
- If you're able to query these disparate data sources, you then must be able to combine them.
- This difference is due to the disparate methods for describing the bond dissociation rate.
- Her career charts an interesting course between the disparate poles of her attraction.
- In this group divergent ontogenies transform disparate larvae into similar adults.
- Unusually, he shares his trade secrets by illustrating many of the disparate elements that inspire him.
- He compartmentalises the disparate aspects of his life and shifts gears between them on the spot, rarely looking back.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.