In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1cohete de señales masculino
- Parachute distress rockets are designed to indicate a distress situation where line of sight is impaired.
- Had this ship not been there, Captain Lord would have recognized the rockets as distress rockets.
- The Para Red distress rocket is designed specifically for long-range distress signalling.
- In addition you will be provided with a survival kit containing aluminium survival sheet, distress rocket, salt tablets and luminous signal stick.
- Pottstown's skipper sent up distress rockets and signaled the Sandwich Coast Guard.
- Early in the morning of 25 March the men on Seneca heard a loud explosion within their convoy, and shortly afterwards saw distress rockets in the air.
- Al is off ranting about how they celebrated July 4th on the tour by setting off a distress rocket in the rear compartment of their band bus.
- The hiss of distress rockets being fired way up into the darkness overhead amused the children as their parents were trying to get them aboard lifeboats.
- Why did the California, whose bridge officers saw the distress rockets, not respond?
- It was really useful to have pictures of the Spaceship interior and the distress rocket to use.
- But just over an hour after the distress rockets were fired, the Iolaire broke her back, slipped off the rocks and sank.
- There was confusion and difficulty in finding the distress rockets when the Shackleton was in the area of the trawler.
- Just over an hour after the distress rockets were fired the yacht broke her back, slipped off the rocks and sank.
- After the collision Boxall helped to fire the distress rockets and to signal the nearby ship with a Morse code lamp.
- All tended to make those distress rockets that were sent up from the sinking ship look so small, so dull and futile.
- Oh, and we will set off a distress rocket, just the one, so tell the coastguard and all shipping within a few miles to just ignore it.
- The Titanic fired distress rockets and attempted to signal by electric lamp and Morse code to this vessel.
- Rockets are seen later, but they appear low, make no sound, and do not seem to be distress rockets.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.