In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1signo de división masculinosigno de dividir masculino
- Several people have written to tell me that the colon-like division sign is used in elementary education in their country.
- In school you might have been taught to use an ‘X’ as the multiplication sign and the horizontal line with two dots as the division sign.
- The division sign is never used in scientific formulas.
- The division sign was in Rahn's time known either as the obelus or sometimes the obelisk, from a Greek word meaning a roasting spit.
- Change the division sign to a multiplication sign.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.