- A pair of amicable numbers is a pair like 220 and 284 such that the proper divisors of one number sum to the other and vice versa.
- Influenced by Gauss, Smith's most important contributions are in number theory where he worked on elementary divisors.
- Its proper divisors are 1, 2, 4, 7, and 14, and the sum of those divisors is 28.
- If our divisor remained unchanged, the calculation for the average would give us 95.00.
- After graduating in 1939 he began to work for his doctorate on the problem of divisors of almost periodic polynomials.