In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1pintarroja femeninocazón masculinoperro marino masculino
- Eleven of these are of the shark variety, who live in blissful harmony with stingrays, thornback rays, conger eels and dogfish, to name but a few.
- In the intestine there is a spiral valve, like that in the dogfish, which is not present in more advanced bony fishes.
- Lesser spotted dogfish are amongst the most common bottom dwelling fish in many areas and can be a real nuisance when trying to catch more desirable species.
- In some areas small skates and dogfish (a small shark species) appear to have taken over the cod's niche in the ecosystem.
- I also had a chance encounter with a lesser-spotted dogfish, so common on the West Coast but fairly rare here.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.